Saturday, January 31, 2009

What's in a Birthday?

So what's the big deal with birthday's? I mean it's just the day you were born. Big deal. So you're one year older. Whatever... I still feel like I'm 18 sometimes. It's not like you look older on this day automatically. You age over the many days that pass. To some people I look 24, to others I'm apparently in my mid thirties with my blond hair. Whatever. It's just a day like any other day. Right?

I keep telling myself this cause I spent my birthday in a lot of pain, sick as a dog, and unconscious. Not exactly the way I wanted to spend my birthday. Oh, was perfectly fine the day after and since. You wouldn't know that I was on my death bed Monday, cause the rest of the week I've been fine, but that is not when my birthday is. Monday was. I didn't get to do anything I wanted to do. I wanted to go to Disneyland and get in free. Didn't happen. Instead I daydreamed while in fetal position that I was there. I wanted to get food from my favorite fast food place and eat it and enjoy it. Didn't happen. Instead I puked my guts out in the toilet. Blah! I HATE throwing up. I wanted to play with my kids. Didn't happen. Instead I was asleep for more than half the day! I wanted to eat the cake my husband and kids made for me. Didn't happen. Instead I laid in bed with a migraine unable to move.

I for some reason make a HUGE deal about birthday's. I feel like I totally got ripped off!! To me a birthday is your day. You get to do what you want. Celebrate it the way you want. Eat what you want. It's your day and you get it your way. Yesterday I was totally proven WRONG! I also learned yet again... Life is not fair! :P I mean come ON! 365 days of the year and I have to be sick on MY DAY!!!

However, I did realized how blessed I really am. Besides Monday, I have my health. I have the best husband who came home half way through the day to take care of me and the boys, and loves me even when I irritate him. :) I have the cutest little boys who make everyday interesting and fun, and love me even though I'm flawed. I have wonderful friends and family who remembered my birthday and wish that I had a great day, even though it was one of the worst. Oh well that's what is nice about birthday's... they come around every year. So I guess there's always next year. :)

4 comments:

MOAB said...

Sorry your b-day stunk! You could pretend that it's tomorrow and start over again...

The Olson Family said...

Oh, a migraine on your birthday? Not fair! Definitely calls for a do-over--"Birthday II, Electric Boogaloo". :)

Melissa Fisher said...

I hear you on the birthday thing. As a Mom of younguns.... the birthday is never the same. You don't get a day off. Have a half- birthday party! HB by the way! Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

jamieleighcall said...

Isn't that just our luck! I was a little bitter last year because I threw Jake a surprise party and he had a great birthday. Then on MY birthday we have his family over and within 5 minutes Ben breaks his arm so Jake and his dad take Ben to Instacare while I'm here trying to host everyone on MY birthday. (I know, sounds selfish.) But you kind of do get excited about the one day of the year being YOUR day. I feel your pain.